Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Odyssey - Book 2 - Chapter iii - The Doughnut

I can change my car's tire now! All because of flat tire on the way to Dayton for Ravi's graduation. Which brings us to the word Doughnut... no not the edible one ... the one that is tire but not a tire. And because of this tire (which is not a tire) the maximum speed I could go was 55 MPH and the normally 5.5 hour drive (At my speeds!!) took more than 10 hours.

Other than the sleep driving and having even ancient cars overtake you, driving at such a low speed on the interstate was not bad. I only had to break twice on the way back and that helped almost double my mileage to 37 mpg (Normal being 21/22 mpg).

This year my car has eaten up a lot of money!! And now it threatens to take some more.

Anyhoo this was a straight up trip other than the small incident of a flat tire ... and maybe also for the fact that the flat tire was caused by a wood long on the middle off the road. I got of easy with having only one wheel broken while a beamer (BMW) had two of its front wheels blown up by it. So much for American roads! And what is this with restaurants in the middle of nowhere not accepting credit cards. This is America how can you not accept cards ... there needs to be a law against it (among other things) and I think Bush is the right person to do it!

1 comment:

Hermit said...

The doughnut is supposed to be driven only for emergency..i.e., 50 miles at the most..I guess you must have worn out that tire too. Why blame the store that didn't take credit card when you and I have forgotten that the good ole days -Have cash, eat food. Plastic will only kill you eventually..So don't forget to carry your check book, a few 20 dollar bills for that occassional ole timer who doesn't know that the world has changed since man invented the wheel..see you soon..drive safe..