Sunday, June 11, 2006

The perfect blood donor

I had been wanting to donate blood for sometime now for various reasons, not the least of which was that I have too much of it. The D day finally arrived last Thursday, causing me to stuff myself up early in the morning. All the tests looked great and the 49 questions about my (non-existent) sexual life and sickness were almost done when we came to the question of me being in India and it was all over before it even started. Apparently you can't donate blood till 12 months after you had been in the Indian Sub-continent, its supposed to be high cholera risk area. Following that logic it would be impossible to donate blood in India.

And before I could take insult, I found out that if you had been in Britain between 80' and 96' you wouldn't be able to donate blood in the US of A, or if you had been to Europe for more than three months with a date rage that I forgot you woudn't be able to donate blood. At the event they had a poster which said that Missouri had a huge shortage of blood and that blood banks from around the country were sending in to support the medical needs. I wonder why!

Check out falcus007.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Hermit said...

yeah..funny, isn't it? If you are a doctor licensed in NY, you cannot help a Katrina victim in New Orleans..Sorry..people are so different between NY and NO, that the same doctor who sees patients in NY cannot help a person in need (STUPIDITY- Got any medicines for that???)..By the time we have evolved into superspecies..we will look and act so different that our ancestors will be rolling in their graves laughing at a mad world we have cocreated with aliens from outer space..Haha

Anonymous said...

isn't that the wierdest thing about travel...you'd think they'd have a test for malaria and hiv by now...geez!

Hey if your interested in finding other blood banks then checkout http://bloodbanker.com

They have an excellent directory of these local places.