Thursday, July 20, 2006

The pin pricks of democracy

After the bombings last week in India, the government decided to take the drastic step of blocking some inflammatory websites. It was unprecedented in the number of sites that were blocked. The ISPs went a step ahead and blocked off all the blogging sites. Some of those sites that I went to didn't have anything out of the ordinary in them, atleast as much as I could see. The others like http://hinduunity.org/ have a hitlist for people. They even have address and phone numbers of people in the US of A who they think don't subscribe to their views. All this after running the site from NY. I always assumed that it was illegal to post people's addresses online and ask people to hurt them.

The oxymoronic nature of the whole affair is that freedom of speech applies to the opponents as much to the proponents of democracy. I am not a supporter of censorship but sometimes, just sometimes I understand the governments position! Then again its a necessary evil to let people have their say, even if they would bay for my blood!

Just a side note to say that I don't know what the big deal was about the president using the s*** word. Come on he doesn't have a special dictionary.

Also if you ever get a link to a site like this don't ever put in your password. Its a well thought out and old scam to get your passwords ... something I had tried out a few years back :)

Don't forget to checkout my other blog.

1 comment:

Hermit said...

One day everyone has to give an account of every word spoken (God has the copyright and if we misuse it without his permission, you better pay the price)..and every deed we have done..God help me, If I am not dead already..Only He can breathe some life into me..How did a Sinner become a Saint? Who was Valmiki???